“Restrictions on the freedom of movement are a powerful coercive mechanism, one that discourages independent speech and critical scholarship.” Read more here on why NYU must address travel bans as a global network university.
In October of 2017, NYU Professors Mohamad Bazzi and Arang Keshavarzian, who were both scheduled to teach at NYU Abu Dhabi, were denied visas to the United Arab Emirates. In both recent cases, NYU is complicit in the enforcement of arbitrary restrictions on movement. In remaining silent on the recent cases of a de facto Travel Ban at its NYU-Abu Dhabi campus, NYU is effectively allowing the arm of Emirati censorship to reach across all of its campuses. NYU needs to rebuke and combat this ban, in private and in public, if it intends to protect the integrity and independence of its scholarship.
Statements and Letters:
- NYU department resolutions on the travel bans and the global network university
- Committee on Academic Freedom, Middle East Studies Association, letter to President Hamilton (10/2/17)
- NYU-AAUP letter to President Andrew Hamilton regarding travel bans and academic freedom (10/3/17)
- Committee on Academic Freedom, Middle East Studies Association, letter to UAE government (10/6/17)
- NYU GSOC Statement on Abu Dhabi Travel Bans
- “If the GNU is to achieve more than educational tourism, NYU and its leadership should have the courage to stand up to its political and educational commitments and openly address all of these breaches of trust.” -From the Hagop Kevorkian Center for Near East Studies to Hamilton (11/15/17), read here // NYU Local coverage here.
- Mohamad Bazzi’s New York Times op-ed (9/26/17): NYU in Abu Dhabu: A Sectarian Bargain
Another NYU Professor Comes Forward with Claims of Discrimination at NYUAD, Washington Square News (10/10/17), read here.
NYU President Remains Quiet After Shia Professors Claim Sectarian Discrimination From Partner Country UAE, NYU Local (10/19/17), read here.
- NYU Journalism Department ends relationship with NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU Local (11/3/17), read here.
- NYU Journalism Faculty Ends Ties with NYU Abu Dhabi, Hank Reichman on Academe blog (11/5/17), read here.
- NYU Journalism faculty boycott Abu Dhabi Campus, New York Times (11/7/17), read here.
- Report: Mobility Across NYU’s Global Network. Download here.